Sunday, February 2, 2014

Overwhelmed

Moving out of our last owner builder project was much more work than I anticipated. However it's done and sold. I had been focused on getting moved out I hadn't really looked forward to the new build. On a whim I pulled out a box of owner builder books that I had purchased before building our last project and I am glad I did. I was thinking I had done it once and it should be easy to do again. Since it was about 5 years since we finished I forgot how much work went into selecting subs, scheduling, sourcing materials etc. We had no list of details by trade or by room yet the designer was working on our plans. This past week I have been spending about an hour or two per night working on house details and reviewing the plans with Audra. I have been focusing on the following:

  • Prefab vs. poured window wells - leaning on prefab window wells for cost and appearance
  • Plumbing: gas vs. electric water heaters, tank vs. tankless, whether or not to do a manifold system (really liked it in the last house), 
  • Central vac - is it really worth it
  • Whole house intercom - really tired of yelling
We also have been watching Craigslist and other sites, starting to acquire materials.

Our designer is working on our plans and I am still looking for a GC who will lend me a license for a loan.

No comments:

Post a Comment